TO MY CHILD - Touching Words

TO MY CHILD


Just for this morning, I am going to
smile when I see your face and laugh
when I feel like crying.

Just for this morning, I will let you

choose what you want to wear,
and smile and say how perfect it is.

Just for this morning, I am going to step

over the laundry and pick you up and take you to
the park to play.


Just for this morning, I will leave the
dishes in the sink, and let you teach me how to put
that puzzle of yours together.


Just for this afternoon, I will unplug
the telephone and keep the computer off, and sit with
you in the backyard and blow bubbles.


Just for this afternoon, I will not yell
once, not even a tiny grumble when you scream and
whine for the ice cream truck, and I will buy you one
if he comes by.

Just for this afternoon, I won't worry
about what you are going to be when you grow up, or
second guess every decision I have made where you are
concerned.


Just for this afternoon, I will let you
help me bake cookies, and I won't stand over you
trying to fix them.


Just for this afternoon, I will take us
to McDonald's and buy us both a Happy Meal so you can
have both toys.


Just for this evening, I will hold you in
my arms and tell you a story about how you were
born and how much I love you.

Just for this evening, I will let you
splash in the tub and not get angry.

Just for this evening, I will let you

stay up late while we sit on the porch and count all the stars.

Just for this evening, I will snuggle

beside you for hours, and miss my favorite TV shows.

Just for this evening when I run my
finger through your hair as you pray, I will simply be
grateful that God has given me the greatest gift ever given.

I will think about the mothers and
fathers who are searching for their missing children, the
mothers and fathers who are visiting their children s
graves instead of their bedrooms. The mothers
and fathers who are in hospital rooms

watching their children suffer senselessly and screaming
inside that little body


And when I kiss you goodnight I will hold

you a little tighter, a little longer. It is then,
that I will thank God for you, and ask him for


nothing, except one more day..............

No comments: